April 27, 2013

Review: A Shimmer of Angels by Lissa M. Basso

Eingestellt von wanderherz um 9:44 PM
I received this e-ARC for free on netgalley.com (Thank you!) and in exchange I will do an honest review.

I love a good angel story, I really do. And this book was really unique because the plot is not unlike other angel stories. Of course it has good and bad (fallen) angels, but the most intriguing part is that our main character, Ray, is being considered schizophrenic (because she has the ability to see angels) and she actually spent many years institutionalized. I liked reading about Ray's struggle, her fears and hopes.  

The beginning was a little bit slow, but after every character is introduced (especially after Ray meets Kade) the story is quite fast-pacing. Although the ending felt way too rushed!
I also didn't like Cam. He is supposed to be the good one, but he abandons Ray twice and the romance between Ray and Cam felt off. There was no connection at all.  {SPOILER} After Ray got institutionalized again, Cam doesn't show up until the very end. So that was kind of strange.

Kade on the other hand is a Fallen and supposed to be the evil one. I wasn't really expecting this character, but I'm so glad he got introduced (after reading 40% of Ray's struggles and Cam's boring and stoic attitude it was quite refreshing to meet the bad-boy of the story)! After Kade's appearance the story picked up nicely and kept me on my toes. The ONLY disturbing thing is {SPOILER} that Kade had a romantic relationship with Ray's mother...WTF? I ignored that little shocking statement throughout the book...because if I had taken it serious I would have stopped reading...it felt really awkward and wrong on so many levels.  

I didn't mind the love triangle between Cam, Kade and Ray, but I think the story would have been waaay better if Cam was never introduced. Kade and Ray had way more chemistry, they cared about each other and Kade never let her down. Cam on the other hand was like a sleeping pill: stoic, boring and calm. The way Ray fell for Cam in the beginning was rather quick and out of nowhere. I think their relationship should have been build up a bit better (or left out completely :D ).

One thing I also loved about the book is the whole concept about the Fallen. I don't want to give too much away, but it's really unique and creative!


Overall, I liked reading A Shimmer of Angels, although it didn't really stand out. For me, it's a good solid story, and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading angel-themed books.

3/5 stars

0 Kommentare:

 

wanderherz Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos