May 26, 2013

Review: Outcast by Adrienne Kress

Eingestellt von wanderherz um 5:41 PM
I received this e-ARC for free on netgalley.com (Thank you!) and in exchange I will do an honest review.

Let's start with the obvious, the cover: it's gorgeous! I really like it and I think it catches the main element of the book perfectly! After reading the synopsis I thought it would be similiar to Angelfall by Susan Ee (which I absolutely loved), but it's not. Outcast is way different, not in a bad way, but don't expect anything like Angelfall. Yes, there are Angels (and Thralls, Nephilim, etc.) and girls who shoot them in the face. That's exactly what Riley does when she meets one of them in her backyard.

The thing I enjoyed most about this read was the relationship between Riley and Gabe. Their relationship felt real (thank God no insta-love for once!),and I loved them together! The book was hilarious and contains a lot of humor. I nearly giggled through the whole book!

The craziness and religious fanaticism that gets a hold of Hartwich was amusing to observe, if a bit unrealistic. That's the only reason why I can't rate this book more than 3.5 stars...the whole setting was quite unbelievable and the ending a little bit dissappointing. I don't want to give too much away, but Kress did a fantastic job in building up Riley's and Gabe's relationship, so I wasn't expecting the story to end like this. Also, I felt like some major explanation were left out, e.g. the whole backstory about the "other world" and why couldn't Gabe remember anything?

The story itself was interesting and unique, I certainly haven't read anything alike, although the whole setting wasn't really my cup of tea.  The book was well written, humorous, and there were plenty of mysteries and twists. Anyway, I’d definitely recommend it, it's a good read with lots of hilarious dialogues and a sweet lovestory.

3,5/5 stars

0 Kommentare:

 

wanderherz Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos